Richard Tankersley witnessed will of Charles Teboe, 2/3/1704-10/3/1705 (VA County Records, 1910 Vol 7)
Reuben Tankersley and Sarah Ann Beverly, his wife, came to America during the reign of Queen Anne and settled in King George Co, VA c1708, where they acquired large landed estates by grant from the Crown, by marriage or by purchase. (Genealogy of the Tankersley Family in the United States, by Charles W Tankersley, 1895, NY, NY, p1)
Reuben Tankersley, son of George Tankersley and Mary Longley, was lost at sea, in a wreck of his own vessel which he commanded in a trading journey to the West Indies (Genealogy of the Tankersley Family in the United States, by Charles W Tankersley, 1895, NY, NY, p15)
King George Co, VA: The following were the names of vestrymen between the years 1723 and 1779:-John Grimsley, Joseph Murdock, Joseph Jones, George Tankersley, Thomas Jett, Thomas Hodges, George Marshall . . . etc. Whether all these belonged to Hanover parish I think doubtful. ("Old Churches, Ministers, and Families of Virginia" by Bishop Meade Article LXIII - Parishes in King George County p 186)
October 16,1742 - Council held at the Capitol - Inspectors Appointed: George Tankersley - Gibson's Warehouse, King George Co, VA (VA Historical Magazine, Vol 15. p388)
George Tankersly is included in a list of voters in 1752. (p.7)
Military Appointments for County Officers 1752 George Takersly - Captain of a Company of Foot (the list of officers was taken from Court Order Book #3, pp. 64, 96, 116, 126)(p.8)
Public Service Claims, King George County - Reg. C5558 October 12, 1781 Among many listed is Tankersley, George (p.159) (King George Co, Virginia 1720-1990 by Nancy E. Harris. 1990, printed for Clearfleid Co., Inc. by Genealogical Publishin Co., Inc Baltimore, MD, 1994.)
George Tankersley operated the ferry over Rappahannock River, succeeding William Taliaferro at The Mount, above present Rappahannock Academy in Caroline County. The ferry cross to land of Joseph Berry near Dogue Creek in King George County. Taliaferro had been a magistrate of Caroline in 1735. Tankersley was a vertryman (1723-57) of Hanover Parish, King George, and tabacco inspector at John Moore's tobacco warehouse opposite Port Royal. Tankersley's will was proved in King George in 1758. (“The Diary of Robert Rose - A View of Virginia by a Scottish Colonial Parson - 1746-1751”, Edited & Annotated by Ralph Emmett Fall, Port Royal, Virginia, 1977.p. 174 note #222)
King George Geo. 1758 will (“Virginia Wills and Administrations 1632-1800” compiled by Clayton Torrence. 193-, reprinted: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1995 p. 413)
John Tankersley was born in 1757-58 in Port Royal, Caroline Co, VA and died 3/14/1840 in Marshall Co, TN. He married Frances Muse in Port Royal, about 1790.
While living in Caroline Co, VA en enlisted sometime in the month of Oct 1778, as a marine, on board the man-of-war called “Tartar” under the command of Commodore Richard Taylor. Later he was transferred to the “Temptest”, under the command of Commodore Travis and continued to cruise about Hampton Roads In the vicinity of Norfolk. After a 12-month tour of duty with the Navy, he served as a substitute in the Virginia Militia for William Parr, under the command of Captain John Tayler, Lieutenant Kelvin Tyler and Colonel Matthew. He marched to Williamsburg where he was drafted fro another 3-month tour in the same regiment. His last tour he served as a substitute for his brother George Tankersley fro 3 months. He received a pension until his death and then his wife, Frances was pensioned until her death in 1846.
He lived in Caroline County until about 1813 when he moved to Bedford Co, TN; later he moved to Lincoln County where he was a resident at the time of his pension application in 9/17/1833. He died, however 3/14/1840, in Lewisburg, near Rock Creek.
John and Frances Tankersley were buried in a family cemetery, now destroyed, on the Verona Road, about 6 miles north of Lewisburg, near Rock Creek. (Revolutionary War Patriots of Marshall Co, TN, Compile by Jane Wallace Alford; American Bicentennial Publication of Robert Lewis Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1976)
Apr 4, 1782 Court - "Persons whose property was impressed or taken for public use in King George Co, VA. Furnished horses and other aids to the American Revolutionary Army: George Tankersley (Tyler's Quarterly & Historical Magazine 9VA) Vol. 5 p.56)
John Tankersley, Lincoln Co; Marine; Ship - "Tarter"; $70.00 Annual Allowance; $210.00 amount received 1/13/1834 pension Started
Henry Martin was born in North Carolina in 1802, and when young came to Tennessee and located in Bedford County, where he married Miss TANKERSLEY, born in 1808. They were parents of eighteen children, seven of whom are living. The mother was a member of the Christian Church, as was also the father until the last few years of his life, when he became a Universalist. He held the position of constable six years and that of deputy sheriff two years. During the late war he supported the Confederacy although too old to take an active part. The mother died in 1842 and two years later Mr. Martin married Mrs. Delilah Lamb, by whom he had six children. His death occurred in 1864. After Maria's death, Henry married Latiticia Delilah Lamb who is mentioned in his will: WILL OF HENRY MARTIN: To beloved wife, Delilah, all that portion of "home place ... lying on East side of the Big Road ... to tract I have this day given to my son, James M. Martin" ... also to wife the Horse Lot, Garden and Irish Potato Patch, some furniture, livestock and farm tools, leather, small grain and picked cotton, spun thread (except what will liquidate a small debt to Davidson in Shelbyville), salt, sugar, coffee, molasses, lard, soda, ginger, etc. on hand.One hundred dollars each to sons, A.E. Martin, Oliver Martin and Cass Martin. To son F.W. Martin, the gray filly. Fifty dollars each to daughters, Eliza Ellen, Nancy J., Fanny W., Usery C., Martha, Elva, Rebecca, and Ann. Part given to minors be held by Guardian till children are age twenty-one.To children of daughter, Mary P. (Martin) Falwell - and to children of deceased daughter, E.J. (Martin) Hill - five dollars each. Also five dollars to children of deceased son, John Martin." ... when peace shall be made, if slaves still remain in bondage, the four I own - Lewis, Ed, Jim and Jo - be sold to the highest bidder." At wife's death or marriage, lands be sold and proceeds equally divided among my children - James M., Eliza E., William H., Nancy J., Oliver L., Nicholas E., Fanny W., Usery C., Furney H., Pinkney T., Martha, Elva, Rebecca, Fountain W., Lewis C., America Ann, and Overton C.Bequests to son, Oliver L. be held by Court-appointed Guardian and given to him as needed. EXCR: Son, James M. Martin & H.B. Allen April 4, 1864WIT: J.R.T. Ransom & M.T. O'Neal. CODICIL: Wife, Delilah, shall have what she makes on land cultivated by her and her children the present year.Probated June 6, 1864 (GOODSPEED HISTORY OF MARSHALL CO, TN)
Franklin Pierce Tankersley was a Christian minister and as such was called upon to perform a great many wedding ceremonies. He was, it seems, "very careful to check the county in which a marriage license was issued when young couples came to him to be married. His house was built almost on the county line. If the license was from Maury Co he invited the couple into his home where he performed the cermony. If the license was issued in Marshall Co, he took them across the road and 'did the job' beneath the 'marrying tree'." (Marshall Co Historical Quarterly, Vol IX, 1978, p 87 - Hardison & Allied Families, Fred L Hawkins & Dorothy Westmoreland Gilliam, Columbia, TN 1992 p251)
HISTORY OF THE BEREA CHURCH OF CHRIST, by Ralph D Whitesell
The Berea Church of Christ has it’s beginning in late 1860 or early 1870 in a small log house located on the farm owned by Mr Tommy Martin (no owned by Jewell Wayne Martin).
The congregation soon outgrew their building and it became necessary to build a new church. A deed in the Register’s Office a the Marshall Co Court House shows that Newton McQuiddy on the 2/12/1877 . . “for the love and interest in the cause of Christianity, gave granted and conveyed to David Tankersley, A B Stilwell, J A Little, F P Tankersley and myself (Newton McQuiddy), 3 1/4 acres of land lying in the 16th Civil District of Marshall Co, TN, on the west bank of Rock Creek and the east side of the Verona-Caney Spring Rd, Commissioners of the Christian Church organized for worship at what shall be called the Verona Church.”
Signed: Newton McQuiddy
Witness: J J Elliott, H C McQuiddy, F P Tankersley
The deed was recorded 1/21/1890
The church building was erected sometime in the 1880’s - the date was on the front of the church at one tie but has long since been painted over. Sometime in the early 1900’s the name was changed from the Verona Christian Church to the Berea Church of Christ.
The membership of the church has grown in numbers and now the descendants of the founding Elders and Deacons worship there. Today the church, which is located about 1 mile north of Verona, has a well kept building and church yard. Rooms have been added for the Bible Study Classes and the building has all the modern conveniences and comforts of a rural church.
The cemetery, located on the north side of the church, too, is well kept. Many people who have worshipped at the Berea Church now rest in the Berea Cemetery. Charley Cook, a blind man, was the first person to be buried there. His grave is unmarked. He was a craftsman, producing some of the finest cedar buckets ever to be made. IN the 1850 census, he was listed as being 35 yrs old and living in the household of John Tankersley.
Source of information: Interview with members, Marshall Co Deed Book F-2, pp 116-117. The church has no records. (Marshall Co Historical Quarterly, Vol III, No III, Fall-1972)
Born 4/7/1850 in Georgetown, R D "Don" Tankersley was a member of the second family to establish a home within the city limits of Killeen in 1882, and established either the second or third general merchandise store in town. The store was located on Gray, about midway between Avenues G and D on the west side.
He met and married his wife in Younsport in 1879 and moved with her to the Cowhouse Creek, coming from there to Killeen in 1882. His brother, Lee, had the honor of fathering the first child born in Killeen, but Don Tankersley had come to stay - his brother had not.
In addition to the family mercantile business, Tankersley operated the public cotton scale, located on the southeast corner of Eighth and Avenue D, from 1898 to about 1914, when he was appointed to the postmasters job which he held until 1922.
Later, his son, also known as Don, took over operation as the public weigher and was holding this job when WWII changed the nature of the town's business. Tankersley's mother had been born in TX under Mexican rule, and his father was killed by Indians near Comanche.
In 1910, the Killeen Herald said of Tankersley, "There is no future honor than Bell county could bestow upon Don Tankersley that he would not be worthy of." The Tankersley's had eight children. Tankersley died 4/10/1927 and is buried in Killeen City Cemetery. (Killeen: Tale of Two Cities, by Gra'Delle Duncan)
Return to Tankersley Lineage
Return to Home Page
If you have records that could be placed on this page please let know.